Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hitting The Trail Again: A Little Blog About My Adventures In Running

I DID IT! 6 miles at Red Rocks!!!

Some of you are like, "Yay!" and some of your are like, "Whoopty freakin' do", but I'M PRETTY STOKED RIGHT NOW.

I just completed my first trail run of 2012. There was no trail running in 2011, or 2010, so really I'VE JUST COMPLETED MY FIRST TRAIL RUN IN THREE YEARS!!! This is the first time I have been out running at Red Rocks since my major surgeries in October of 2009, and Jan/Feb of 2010. It felt fabulous to be back out there. GORGEOUS day today, and a nice cool breeze was blowing by.

I won't lie to you though--my guts feel like I just stuck them in a martini shaker and let Tom Cruise have a go at them in the movie, Cocktail. Blech. Something tells me there is just way too much "wiggle room" inside of my abdominal cavity right now. Before I had a large portion of my GI tract removed, my sister was like, "Well what in the heck are they going to fill you up with then?...Pez?". I don't think it's actually standard practice to fill up abdominal cavities with high fructose corn syrup products, and truth be told, I'd take Nerds over Pez any day.

So, yes, although it felt awesome to be back out there, I did realize that "the old grey mare just ain't what she used to be". Fear not though--I am determined to work my way back up to the trail runner I used to be. It's going to take some assistance though. Why? Because I shouldn't be running six miles without some form of hydration. I am going to have to break down and buy a Camelbak. I used to do this run all the time prior to my surgery, and I never carried water. However, now my body likes to practice mass wasting of electrolytes post-op, and I don't want to end up with my EMT BFFs meeting me on the trail so they can start an IV on me and fill me up with 0.9% normal saline.

HOLY FREAKIN' HOT MEN RUNNING ON THAT TRAIL, BATMAN! I will not lie, there were some serious hotties out there today. Hot, sweaty, buff men. Who needs match.com when you have that? (no--I'm not on match.com...just FYI).

I also think something happened to my knee when I so gracefully tumbled down my garage stairs the other day. I realized this when I was out on the trail and it started popping. I had my iPod on, but you know how you can still hear things that go on inside of the body, even if your ears are plugged? Yeah, it was kind of like that (*click*click*click*).

I had a total ACL replacement of my left knee when I was in highschool. I used to ski race for Loveland (slalom, giant slalom, super G, and downhill), and blew my knee out going like a bat outta h*ll off the top of a run in my tuck back in the day. I was reminded that I still have two 8mm bolts in my knee when I was surfing during my last trip to Hawaii. No bueno. Getting older *SUCKS*. Not a fan...

All things considered, the run went very well. It's going to take some getting used to, but if felt so good to be outside again. That is only my third time running outside since my surgeries. Assuming my intestine goes back to normal, I'll be ready to hit the trail again soon.

The only casualty on the trail was when I ran face first into a little green slimy worm that was hanging from one of the trees. Actually, there were about 50 little green slimy worms hanging from the trees. It scared the holy living crap out of me, and I'm sure I looked like a complete idiot trying to get the web/worm off my face. Probably a great way to snag a hot trail running man.

Final score: Worm 1     Whitney 0




No comments:

Post a Comment