Monday, July 8, 2013

Thy Word...

(BTW...Posted are my favorite all-time links to pertinent songs that touch my heart--I know I'm dating myself, but I LOVE them, and they were the first songs that helped me understand God, and establish a relationship that lasted with Him.)
 
Those of us who attend church on a regular basis have been told on multiple occasions that when we try to do something productive spiritually, that the adversary will somehow get in the way of us accomplishing that, and try to distract us from our path. This happened to me about 20 minutes ago--when my blog was typed up, ready to go, and then got deleted.
 
I thought about going to bed. It is 2:00 a.m. after all. But I'm a night shift nurse, so I'll suck it up and re-type this thing. Hopefully it will be as good as the first--but who knows.
 
I woke up today and remembered all the things I needed to be doing besides attending church. I could've used the extra two hours to prepare for my move to Alaska--but I didn't. I ended up going to church. I've also ended up getting smarter over time. Like when I don't feel like going to church, I realize that is when I really NEED to go to church--and I know that.
 
Today was no different. I sat there through the sermon, and was absolutely GOBSMACKED about the topic--couldn't have hit closer to home. And that's "gobsmacked", not "godsmacked". Had I been smacked with the bible, I probably would've found another church to attend.
 
Today we were talking about David. Some of you might know him as "King David". I really didn't know a whole lot about the dude. I had heard of him, but never really researched much pertaining to him in the bible. So why do you care? I don't know--you're the one reading my blog. You could've bailed a while ago.
 
So why was this so pertinent to my life? Well, the major topic of the sermon today was TIMING. And not our own timing, but GOD'S TIMING. There is a difference. I know this, because I am the classic case of "Ms. Instant Gratification". I like things on my time. I want what I want when I want it. However, it was good to listen to this sermon, even though, unfortunately, I will never be a king (I don't care what my original birth certificate said about the probability).
 
So, David was this dude that God had a convo with at one point, and God revealed to him that he was to become a king. This was like, way back in the earlier days of David's life. David ended up living in a cave in the desert for YEARS until this prophecy came to fruition. He probably had a lot of time to do some thumb twiddling, eat Top Ramen, and wish he had a Home Depot around to buy an air conditioner.
 
But David was patient. He trusted in God enough to let the Big Man reveal His plan, and on His time. See, David was actually sought after on numerous occasions by the then  king, who wanted to rip his gizzard out (If you haven't guessed by now, I kind of paraphrase in layman's terms). Anyway, David was faithful, and had numerous chances to "off" the current king, but refrained because of his faith in God's plan.
 
 
"Well, Whitney, talking to us about some dude living in a cave, eating Top Ramen, who has spiritual delusions of grandeur about being king someday kind of sounds like a reality TV show--like Honey Boo Boo meets the Kardashians. How does that really translate over to you now?"
 
TIMING.
 
Those who know me well, know that I have kicked the idea of moving to Alaska for my career back-and-forth for years. I even went so far as to accept a job up at one of the hospitals in Anchorage, Alaska, in March, and then rescinded my acceptance to take on a local position here in Colorado. I thought everything was fine. I thought everything was "fixed". But it wasn't. And I lost hours. And I worried every night about going to sleep and being able to make my bills on "part-time" pay due to losing hours.
 
I prayed. I kept getting put on call, and one of those nights, I sat at my computer and applied to a hospital up in Anchorage. But not just ANY hospital--THE hospital I really wanted to work at. I had applied there numerous times before, and never received so much as a rejection letter. This last time--I was their girl. They called me right away, and I even had them all rolling with laughter during my phone job interview--a tremendous feat (that's what you get for asking me why you should hire me!)!!!
 
I also prayed for God's intentions. I prayed that HIS will be done, and not mine. I prayed that I would not get a job offer if it wasn't meant to be. I prayed for peace in my heart if I did get the offer.
 
"Whitney, how does this have to do with you (besides your job banter)? Weren't we just talking about King David?"
 
Indeed, we were. But there are some parallels there. Granted, I'm not living in a cave eating Top Ramen, waiting to take over Kate Middleton's role in the UK, but King David and I were both told the same thing.
 
Be humble. Have humility. Wait. Work diligently with anticipation, but do not rush things.
 
Is Alaska my dream?
 
NO.
 
Is this my final destination?
 
H-E-double hockey sticks (hell) no.
 
This is, however, part of an interim plan that God has for my life. Why? I have NO FLIPPING IDEA. I hate the cold. I am going to be away from my kids during the school year for periods of time. How can this be?
 
I DON'T KNOW.
 
But I trust my faith enough to know that I will find out. I trust that there is a reason I am moving 3,000 miles away, and throwing caution to the wind. Ironically, there was a gentleman during the pre-sermon today who did the same thing, and had the same response I had, in that he had no idea why they (he and his wife) were called to move to Colorado.
 
Trust God. Trust Him with your life. Trust Him with your mind. Trust Him with your heart. Trust Him with your soul.
 
I saw a sign posted this week on a local church. It said, "Do you feel lonely? Try intimacy with Christ."
 
Pretty bold, but answers a lot of questions for me as to why I am the way I am. Need a man? No, I've got Jesus, thanks. Far less complicated, and someone I can rely on. There isn't a lot of need for male attention beyond that.
 
I love my friends, and family. I would encourage you to give every burden up to God. Some might think it's like throwing wishes up to the stars, but try to communicate your heart to God, and give it a chance. I am a stubborn, geologist, geologic timescale, somewhat liberal, human being, but I know that God is very real in my life, and I am thankful for the people who teach me about Him so I can better direct myself (cuz I suck at reading/understanding the bible).
 
I will miss my church family. I had the opportunity here to get in touch with a church that was a very "new" church. I've seen it grow, blossom, and turn into something amazing. It breaks my heart to leave it.
 
Pastor Pat, Lauren, Pastor Ben, Sarah, Jovan, Trier, Amber...This one's for you (below). See you soon.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment