Tuesday, November 29, 2011

**HoW GrEaT iS mY BLOG?!!!!**: A Big Surprise, and a Happy Blogger!



Ok, so some of you probably know a song that rhymes with my title, "How Great Is My Blog", and just so you know, I'm not trying to be arrogant, blasphemous, or otherwise trying to be a very large jerk. I TRULY AM TOTALLY STOKED ABOUT MY BLOG!!! This is where you say, "Why, Whitney?" and where I say, "Because something truly great has come from my blogging (minus the fact that I've ruffled a few feathers along the way, and made some people get their panties in a bunch during some of my finest snarky moments)".

I started this blog approximately a year and a half ago. I've had over 30,000 hits for my goofy posts during that time, from all over the world. I recently posted a blog on a rare genetic birth defect that my oldest daughter has called "Cleidocranial Dysplasia". I posted it in collaboration with my daughter in an effort to get information out to the world about CCD seeing as though it is very rare, and the odds of coming across people with CCD are few and far between (there are only about 500 people in the world have it, and they probably don't live near me in Colorado). I got a message from a person who had read my blog on CCD, and who has Cleidocranial Dysplasia. He lives in Mexico...MEXICO, people! And he found my blog, was able to see someone else who lives with the same condition, and he also happens to be 20 years old, just like my daughter! He told me that he felt so alone with his condition, but thankful to learn that Paige is going through the same thing and that indeed he is not alone at all! :)

THEN...to make things even crazy cooler, I was showing some of my paintings to one of my coworkers on my blog. She is from the Philippines, and when I was scrolling through my blog posts and saw the picture of Paige being able to touch her shoulders together at midline (because she was born without collarbones due to CCD) she said, "HEY!!!! My cousins can do that!!!" At first I was like, "What do you  mean your cousins can do that? THAT is not normal!!!" However, she told me that her uncle was born with this condition. They had no idea what it was called, and people even asked him if his parents were cursed by a witch when his mom was pregnant with him. They had no comprehension of what Cleidocranial Dysplasia was. Her uncle went on to have both male and female children, and it was genetically passed on to all of his FEMALE children--all his male children were normal size and did not have CCD. Then the female children had children and passed it on to all of their female children. CRAZY INTERESTING! Her family members still had no idea what the condition was called, either, so now she can tell them because SHE SAW MY BLOG!

I realize that some of you are probably like, "*YAWN*STRETCH*YAWN* Great...well this was a great blog, Whitney...I'm going to go die of boredom now...", but I am on cloud nine. I'm so excited that my blog did exactly what I hoped it would do--be far-reaching, and help others. I hope many people researching CCD end up "tripping" over my blog post (thanks to Google).

Now when is that CEO of a major magazine company who wants me to write a column for 6 figures/year going to "trip" over my blog???   ;) JK

No comments:

Post a Comment