Monday, July 11, 2011

The Big Maui News: Silence, You Hecklers--Never Have I Been More Happy to Renege on a Previous Blog Posting


Remember Wayne's World? Remember the scene where they played the hockey game on the street? Every time a car would head toward their street hockey game Wayne, or Garth, would yell, "Game off!"--then Wayne and Garth would pick up the hockey goal from the middle of the road, drag it to the edge of the sidewalk, let the car pass, then grab the goal and drag it back into the middle of the street and yell, "Game on!", drag the dumb net to the middle of the street, and start playing hockey again. This is very much like my relationship with the Cute Alaskan Man. "Game on!" or "Game off!"-- I'm not going to lie--we've suffered our fair share of break-ups and reunions. Each time we would break up I was CERTAIN it would be the last. Each time I prove myself WRONG. I wrote my blog, "And They Lived Happily Ever After--At Least That Was The Hypothesis" last week after our most recent break up. I was heartbroken. I booked my self-pity, Jennifer Aniston recovery trip to Maui. I was convinced I was going to hit the island and be by myself to "recover" from my break-up. Then it started raining last week. I got stuck in flood water on the way to work. It took me 2.5 hours to get to work--and I was late. Traffic was at a complete standstill. While I was sitting in the middle of a huge puddle--my telephone rang. It was the Cute Alaskan Man.

Silence, hecklers! I know some of you are rolling your eyes and saying, "DUDE--what the heck is the matter with you? First of all, I'm a dude-ette...not a dude. Second...I'm in love. Ever been there? It's not always bump-free, and it's never dull and boring. I also challenge some hecklers to try to imagine what it takes to keep a long distance relationship alive for three years that involves not just 2 people--but 6 people (that would include me, the Cute Alaskan Man, Paige, Beau, Emma, and Chloe--or as I like to call my children...my posse). Can you imagine how many hours of phone time and texting it takes to keep up a three year, long distance relationship? Can you imagine the patience it takes to wait 3-4 months to see the person you care so deeply about in between visits? Can you imagine how unfortunate it is to age in time lapse every time you see your boyfriend?--Because I'm pretty sure that it's not so hot.These are only a few of the obstacles that are faced on a daily basis with two people who are "going the distance". It's difficult. Not only is it hard on Tristan and me, but it's hard on everyone involved. I'm not just talking about my kids, either. I'm talking about my kids, our friends, and our families--because they all have to deal with how crazy being 3,000 miles apart makes us. It's a team effort, for sure. I'm sure if we end up making it to the "happily ever after" finish line, that we will be receiving a bill from all of our friends and family who are charging us for their therapeutic interventions along the way.

*Drum roll please* bap bap bap bap bap bap: Tristan and I are going to Maui in two weeks. That's the big news. In the words of Wayne and Garth from Wayne's World, "GAME ON!!!". And to be honest with you, there is nobody I would rather spend time on a moonlit beach with than my Cute Alaskan Man.

I'm not going to go into all the details of WHY we are back together. We are level headed adults who can fumble our way through this 3,000 mile dilemma without having to drag the entire world into it with us. Just know that it seems more on track and headed in a better direction at this point--and honestly, in life, that's all you can really ask for.

I am thankful for the flood that happened the other day on my way to work. It gave me 2.5 hours to hash things out with the Cute Alaskan Man, and gave me the most incredible person in the world to share an airline seat next to on my way to Maui--not to mention 9 days in Maui/Seattle with him. Oh...and did I mention he's a really good cook? He's already promised to cook me shrimp on the barbie while we are there. He actually said, "I'll load up a whole barbecue full of those little suckers for you!"...cuz he's that sweet. :)

Oh, and yes...he is still building the house up in Alaska. And he did just buy a boat up there. I think he should name the boat, "Deal Breaker"--just to humor me. It can be our little joke--ok...well ours, and anyone else who reads this blog.

Thanks to all who listen to my gripes and groans. It's not easy, but apparently I have really strong fingernails because I'M HANGIN' IN THERE. Picture me grabbing a hockey goal, moving it back out into the middle of the street, and saying, "GAME ON!". Oh...and PS ALOHA!


1 comment:

  1. In the words of an enthusiastic Donald Duck: "Oh Boy!"

    Or maybe I'm just happy that there's still a chance for me to be a brides maid; in either case, I'm downright giddy that we're back to game on! I think you under-estimate the willingness of your audience to sit through multiple plot twists in order to see this thing to the romantic conclusion.

    By the way, if you send me your official dates for being in Seattle together, I'm thinking I might be here. I'd be very excited to meet Tristan's "the one".

    Happy days are here again...

    ReplyDelete