Sunday, October 23, 2011

**NEW PAINTING**: AURORA: Under the Northern Lights ; Painting #1 in a series



Though a lot of my artwork revolves around my love for Hawaii, I have another state that is very near and dear to my heart--ALASKA. There is a very long story behind how I ended up living there for 5 years of my life, but while I was there I was able to take in some of the most beautiful scenery known to man. My latest painting is a landscape inspired by the Aurora Borealis (AKA "The Northern Lights). Seen in the higher latitudes, these lights are caused by the collision of charged particles that are then directed by the Earth's magnetic field into the atmosphere. The bright greens, pinks, reds and purples created by such a phenomenon are truly a sight to behold. There were many nights in college up at the University of Alaska Fairbanks where my friends and I either ventured out to the hilltops or out to ice skate under the northern lights.


I handcrafted the frame and painted it in a Sahara Gold metallic acrylic. The painting is texturized with my signature style. This particular painting was inspired by a photograph of Juneau, Alaska. The northern lights dance above the mountain tops and the Juneau ice field glaciers. The brilliance of the Aurora is reflected in the water. Snow capped peaks are in the distance, and snow dusted trees line the waterfront. This painting is on a 16"X20" canvas. The northern lights are coated with sparkle high gloss glaze and are in vibrant green and pink metallics. The entire painting is sealed in a high gloss glaze for protection and is ready to mount on any wall.


Another view of the texture on the mountains and the Northern Lights.


A close up view of the detailed texture on the trees an the water.


Another view in the sunlight.

To view this piece, and my other paintings please visit my online art gallery at

No comments:

Post a Comment