Monday, May 30, 2011

Oh Abercrombie...You're Getting a Bad Reputation About Your "Padded" Bikinis For Kids. I Feel Your Pain...I Feel Your Pain...

Oh darn you, Abercrombie & Fitch...you've gone and marketed an entire swim suit line this summer to children that involves "padded" bikini tops. How dare you. Kids don't have boobies--or if they do, don't you know that we all like our kids boobies poking though their thin, lycra bikini tops so everyone can point and laugh? How dare you. (and I'm kidding)

WAKE UP, AMERICA. I'm a fairly conservative mom. I'm saying that, yet I still vote on the democratic ticket (but I'm a fence-sitter on most issues). Why are we all freaking out about Abercrombie marketing "padded" swim suit tops to kids? In the words of Inigo Montoya from "The Princess Bride"--"Let me splain...No...let me sum up" (insert the following line of, "Buttercup is marry Humperdink in a little less than half an hour"). HELLO PEOPLE. Let me tell you why Abercrombie has an entire line of padded swim suits for children this summer...

Has anyone realized what is happening with our children these days? Childhood obesity is through the roof. There are a fair number of young children tipping the scales at well over 100 lbs these days. Unfortunately with weight, comes boobs. And it's not just about childhood obesity--I have an 8.5 year old who has no fat on her whatsoever, she is over 5 feet tall, and she is already developing breasts and making a B-line into womanhood (and don't even think of giving me crap about it--I fed her "organic" EVERYTHING and she is skinny as a bean pole). Times are changing--and whether or not we like to actually "acknowledge" the changes as parent, I tell you what--I'd rather have an 8 year old running around in a "padded" bikini top from Abercrombie, than an 8 year old with boobs running around in a thin, lycra/spandex top that shows everybody her "turkeys are done" because her boobs are poking out and saying, "HELLO" to the world in the cold pool water.

PA--leeeez...the reason Abercrombie developed these tops is still left to debate. I'm pretty certain it's to cater to the actual "reasonable" needs of today's kids rather than to give the neighborhood pedophile a sneak peek at children's "goodies" at the pool--or to project kids as "sexy" before their time. I just bought my 8.5 year old daughter 4 padded bras today so she can avoid embarrassing herself in her tank tops this summer. It is what it is, people. Time to get real and learn how to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment