Saturday, April 23, 2011

Could It Be?-- Someday I Might Be Almost Dr. Whitney? Who Would've Thunk It?...

It was a VERY interesting day at work today. Not JUST because I get to help deliver babies on a daily basis. Nope...something BIG happened. Let me go all "Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music" on you and say, "Let's start at the very beginning...a very good place to start..."



I FINALLY made it into Labor and Delivery as an RN. Although I am blissfully happy, something has happened to me since I started working there. Something I said would never EVER happen to me. Something I swore I would rather beat my head against a wall than actually do. I, Whitney, RN, BSN, think I might actually GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!! *SHOCK*FALLING TO THE FLOOR*TWITCHING STARTING*SEIZURE PRECAUTIONS TAKEN*DEFIBRILLATOR PADS ATTACHED TO CHEST*!!!!!!!!


I can't tell you how many times I swore up and down when I was in nursing school that I would never take another class that had to do with anything in the medical field. I did not like nursing school. I wanted to quit going upwards of 75 times in 22 months. If you crunch the numbers, that's not a super awesome statistic. My sister is also an RN and recently told me that she plans on going back to school for her Nurse Practitioner in geriatrics this fall to which I replied, "Better you than me! I wouldn't be caught dead doing that!!" And now look what is happening to me. I'm reneging. I'm a sell out. I'm a sucker. I'm a glutton for scholastic punishment. I THINK I'M GOING TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!!! *EEeeeeek*AAahhhhhhh*GAG*HACK*SPLUTTER*...true story.

"So what is it that you are thinking about going to school for, Whitney?" I'm so glad you asked. If this blog wasn't a two-sided conversation with just myself it might seem awkward. ;) I've been seriously kicking around the idea of going back to school so I can be either a Certified Nurse Midwife, or if I'm feeling completely crazy--an OB-GYN. I want to actually "DELIVER" babies. Right now I "ASSIST" with delivering babies--which is amazing. But I want the white coat and the job of pulling the little suckers out. Bottom line.

I was fortunate enough to meet with a Certified Nurse Midwife today who heads up the education committee for my unit. She told me that she would be more than happy to help me figure out how to make this happen. It's not something that will happen right away--I have to have at least 2 years in labor and delivery as a nurse before I can enter a program. However, in 3-5 years you just might be saying, "Eh...what's up, Doc?" (and you will be able to say, "Eh...what's up ALMOST Doc?" if I become a midwife because the only thing I won't be doing is C-Section deliveries...the rest is all what the other docs do. :)

LIFE IS GETTING PRETTY SWEET. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment